The new school year has begun
Well, I've recovered from the numerous farewell/welcome parties for staff coming and going from my various elementary and junior high schools I teach at. On an interesting note, I got the chance to try eating crickets for the first time at a karaoke bar in town during one "second" party. Not normally a Japanese food, it is I guess a "tasty" snack for some, cooked crispy with sugar and soy sauce. My school principal and I seemed to be the only ones trying them though. Not much flavour to be honest. I tried to goad the other (younger) staff into eating one, the premise that "they" being Japanese should be able to eat anything I can eat here. Alas it was not to be. :)
Conan's news is that while he's not quite ready to crawl yet, he has taught himself to get into the crawl position (on hands and knees) and hold himself there. Shouldn't be too long. Guess it's time to "baby-proof" the lower half of the house.
Here's a recent picture of Conan contemplating his dinner in his new highchair.

A small side note; my first supervisor at the Sumita BOE six years ago just returned as the new vice-principal of my main junior high. It's certainly been fun catching up with him. When we first met, I was 26, and his oldest kid was in the 5th grade. Now she's in her final year of high school. My how time flys.

2 Comments:
My goodness, I can't believe it's been THAT long since you first came to Japan!
I'm starting to feel like a vet, but you make me seem like a Johnny-come-lately.
Conan's a killer-cute kid, by the way. Better think about establishing a curfew soon. Once he starts crawling he'll be out all night, crawling the neighbourhood, gurgling at the ladies, smoking...
Kern pretty much stole my comment. It's been that long, eh? Every once in a while I'm astonished at how quickly, yet slowly life moves. Whereas teacher's college seems like an eternity ago, I was there less than a year ago. But Dion and I have been married close to five years and I've been living in Toronto for over eleven years. ELEVEN years. It's hard to believe that I've been an adult that long.
Post a Comment
<< Home