Getting a little "Spirited Away" with our costumes

Conan, Junko and I went to my friend's hallowe'en party last night. It's an annual event he's had in his little village for the past seven years or so. It draws a large number of foreign English teachers and most of his elementary school kids. Everyone dresses up, plays some classic games, and snacks on some junk food. I've gone every year since I've been in Japan. This year was the first time for Junko and Conan. They really had a good time, particularly Conan, who couldn't stop laughing at himself in the mirror with his costume on.For those of you who might not recognise our costumes, we were characters from the academy award-winning film "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" or the English title "Spirited Away." I was "Kao nashi" or "No face", while Junko played the title character "Chihiro." Conan was the little mouse that befriends Chihiro in the movie. Here's a link for more info, and another link to some photos from the film. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you rent the DVD, and watch it in the original Japanese (with English subtitles). It is truly a wonderful film, both visually and story-wise.

1 Comments:
I love the fact that Mark's face appears in so few pictures, even the one's he's in. Either he's holding up Conan, or, in this case, wearing a mask. You're turning into Kevin. :)
I've never been sure if I find Kaonashi cute or creepy. He's one of those demons that kind of acts like a kid having a tantrum; a kid who eats people.
Post a Comment
<< Home